In the latest episode of Coffee & Musings I talk a little bit more about Flow.
The theory behind Flow is that “people are happiest when they are in a state of flow—a state of concentration or complete absorption with the activity at hand and the situation.”
I read from the book Flow – by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.
The eight characteristics of flow are:
– Complete concentration on the task;https://positivepsychology.com/mihaly-csikszentmihalyi-father-of-flow/
– Clarity of goals and reward in mind and immediate feedback;
– Transformation of time (speeding up/slowing down);
– The experience is intrinsically rewarding;
– Effortlessness and ease;
– There is a balance between challenge and skills;
– Actions and awareness are merged, losing self-conscious rumination;
– There is a feeling of control over the task.
If you’re interested in Flow and want to find out more, I recommend Mihaly’s Ted Talk which can be found here:
Over the next couple of weeks, maybe start to think about activities where you achieve a flow state (and it’s absolutely OK if you can’t!). If you feel happy to share, let me know your flow activities in the comments.